Are you dreading the day when you have to add your teen to your car insurance policy? You have probably already heard nightmare stories from friends whose young driver car insurance resulted in a 50-100% increase in the family’s overall premiums. Ouch!
Many car insurance companies consider drivers under the age of 25 to be at much higher risk for vehicle-related accidents. And if you’ve driven by your local high school parking at 3:00 lately, you probably know too well the driving habits of young drivers. Yet, there are a few things you can do to help your teen become a safer and cheaper-to-insure young driver. The following five ideas will have a positive impact on your young driver car insurance rates:
1. Keep that driving record clean. Even one DUI infraction can multiply a young driver’s car insurance premium by a factor of ten. And that’s not just for one year. The increased annual premium is likely to stay in effect for three years, costing literally thousands of extra dollars in increased insurance premiums.
2. Keep those grades up. Some car insurance companies offer lower rates to young drivers who qualify as full-time high school or college students and maintain at least a 3.0 grade average. It doesn’t hurt to ask about it when you’re shopping for car insurance quotes!
3. Consider an accredited driver safety course for your young driver. Some insurance companies sponsor them locally, or check online with the National Safety Council. Your young driver might qualify for a car insurance discount, and is likely to become a safer driver in the process. A double win.
4. Consider a safer car. By avoiding sport cars, expensive cars, and SUV’s your young driver may save up to 50% on car insurance premiums. Consider a newer model car with airbags as a cheaper, and safer, alternative for your teen.
5. Stuff the car with safety features. To keep your teen safe, and save on car insurance premiums, consider adding side-airbags, automatic seat belts, and anti-lock brakes to your young driver’s vehicle.
By considering these five factors that affect young driver car insurance, you can make those teen years a little less expensive and a lot more enjoyable.
When you’re ready to start shopping for young driver car insurance, consider getting multiple quotes from the online service recommended below. They provide at least five free quotes from major insurers.