Starting a daycare? Running a daycare can be very rewarding and a lot of fun. There are five rules that need to be followed for your daycare to become a success.
1. There are those who imagine babysitting as a day spent reading storybooks and watching children play. The truth is you will spend much of your time wiping noses, and finding lost socks. People who have had little experience with children should start small. Take care of two or three children in your home for a minimum of three months. After this time, decide if a daycare is truly what you want.
2. Every region has laws regarding daycares. It is vital to comply with adult to children ratios, criminal checks, safety codes and liability insurance. Whether you choose to open your home or lease a building, building and fire codes will need to be met. Talking to a lawyer will ensure that you understand and can abide by all regulations. Laws tend to change frequently, so volunteer your daycare for regular inspections to confirm total compliance.
3. You will need to take childcare and first aid courses, too. These courses will enable you to react accordingly to any medical emergency that may arise. Every employee hired must complete these courses as well. Although a child psychology course is not usually required, this knowledge will help you to recognize signs of abuse, learning deficiencies and behavioral problems.
4. You will be required to provide appropriate toys, sleeping arrangements, arts and crafts, and toilet facilities. You will also need to know how children will get to and from school. Consider, too, the hours your daycare will be open. Some daycares are 24 hours to accommodate parents with shift work while others are open only from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
5. Taking a business and a marketing course is another important part of making your daycare a success. A business course will teach you what to charge, how to budget and will educate you in bookkeeping. The marketing course will teach you how to advertise your business effectively.
Now that you know the 5 rules on starting a daycare, follow them and surely your daycare will be a success. Satisfaction will belong to both your clients and yourself.