Designing a home is a very exciting project. It is also a very stressful time as you have lots of decisions to make and questions that need to be answered. One decision you have to make is hiring an architect. Not all architect firms are the same. Each has their methods of creating designs. As well, the services that different architects offer will vary. When choosing an architect, you have to make sure it is the right architect that meets your design needs.
The following is a list of tips to hiring an architect to designing your home:
1. What size and type of projects do you design? Designing firms will often have certain size projects they will design. They can design be specific rooms in a home or building, entire homes, commercial buildings, apartments, condominiums, or all types.
2. What is the architect’s education and experience? Inquire about past clients, what school the architect attended, and if he or she won any awards.
3. Is the architect licensed? In order to be allowed to work in a particular state, an architect must be licensed. They can also have the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards Certificate (NCARB.)
4. Does the architect have design samples? It is important to look at design samples to assess the quality of work. You want to make sure you like the designs and style of each design.
5. Does the architect have insurance? Every professional architect will have insurance, especially liability insurance.
6. What are the architect’s services? This can include blueprints, plans, consulting with the contractor, maintaining contact with the contractor throughout the process, creating a budget, and staying on site during the building process.
7. Can you use online plans or stock plans from a book? The architect will advise that if you plan on making a number of changes throughout the process, a stock plan may not be the best choice. You will also have to consider how unique you want the design to be.
8. What are your costs? Rates will vary among architects. It can range from $50/hr to over $100/hr
9. Will the architect help you find a contractor? Many architects will often help their clients find a good and honest contractor. They will even have a list of contractors that they have worked with on other projects.
10. Does the Architect use 3D Software? A professional architect should create home or other projects designed in BIM or 3D.
When designing and building a home, people want everything run smoothly. Hiring an architect will make a big difference in building the home of your dreams. Make sure that you check references before making a decision. It is important to interview a number of architects before making a decision so you will know that the architect understands your design vision. It will also reduce many of the tasks that one has to do during the building process. Whether you hire an architect firm or a single architect, a quality architect will ensure that you have your dream home.