Scams and fraud cost over $1.6 billion for Americans in 2014, according to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). There are many types of fraud classified by the U.S. Department of Justice and state government legislation. Skimming, embezzlement, billing and corruption schemes, check tampering, identity theft, credit card fraud, insurance fraud, and scams are the most common cases. Identity theft is the biggest type of fraud that consumers face today, with more than 14% of the reports in 2014 being filed for this reason according to an article in USA Today.
Florida leads the nation for fraud reports in 2014, with experts citing that elderly residents make easy targets for criminals, which is likely why the state leads the nation. Other states that top the list of highest fraud complaints include (in no particular order):
- New Jersey
Having a fraud expert witness on the case can offer so many advantages when fighting any type of criminal or civil charges related to fraud. Expert witness services can provide valuable testimony on various aspects of fraud detection, identity theft, hacking, technology in fraud, types of fraud, and more. The use of a fraud expert can offer assistance in areas like:
- Forensic accounting research to determine when, how, and where the fraud occurred
- Identifying fraudulent activities taking place in various circumstances
- Ascertaining details of what kind of fraud was committed and what level of the criminal code was violated
- Identifying corporate fraud, including embezzlement, money laundering, and abuse of resources
- Providing expert testimony on technology utilized in the crime and how it impacted the outcome
- Presenting facts and statistics on fraud in various circumstances to set the stage for the case being presented
- Researching fraudulent transactions or activity to determine motive, intent, and other facets of the crime
- Defining what does and does not qualify as criminal fraud based on details of the case at hand
Identity theft and imposter schemes are the two most prevalent kinds of fraud that occur in the United States, followed closely by corporate fraud schemes and operations. There are a lot of facts and details to uncover in a fraud case in order to arrive at the appropriate verdict. With an expert witness testimony, any legal case can become much more solid and have a better chance at getting the desired outcome. A fraud professional can offer valuable insight and industry information that the average person might not know, which allows them to give the plaintiff or defendant’s legal team an upper hand in the courtroom.
With the advances in modern technology, fraud cases are becoming much more popular, but also much more complex. Having expert witness services that can delve into all of the technical aspects and help decipher what really happened can often change the outcome of a case significantly. Computer-related fraud is the #1 source of fraud crimes in the world right now. This requires the fraud expert to have skills in research and accounting as much as computer use and technology. That is why it is critical to find the right expert witness for the case at hand. Luckily, there are fraud experts that specialize in every area of fraud examination and detection, allowing any legal team to get the support that they need for their legal case.
9930 Johnnycake Ridge Rd, Suite 2G
Concord, OH 44060