Homeowners Insurance Made Simple

What would you do if your home was flooded or struck by lightning or your valuables were stolen or damaged? Would you be covered if a storm damaged your home or a guest sustained an injury on your property? Unless you can afford to rebuild your home or replace all your worldly goods, buying home insurance to cover against unforeseen and unfortunate events is a must. There are variety of homeowner’s insurance, and deciding on the coverage, deductible and limits that are right for you can seem complicated at first glance.

Homeowner’s insurance is divided into two parts: buildings and contents cover. Building Insurance, essentially covers the property like- the walls, roof, foundations, outbuildings and the fixed fittings within it, including bathroom fittings and kitchen units. Whereas Content Insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing furniture and other items if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen. In short the contents include anything and everything that you would take with you if you were to move house. Your home is the most valuable asset you will ever own. Insuring your home brings peace of mind knowing that you are protected if your home is damaged or destroyed as you may not be able to afford the repair or rebuilding costs yourself. If you are a tenant your landlord will probably be responsible for arranging buildings cover. However, check your rental agreement to be sure. You will need to arrange your own cover for your belongings with a standalone contents policy.  Homeowner’s insurance provides a variety of coverage types.  Dwelling protection covers your home and attached structures from a range of perils like theft, fire, falling objects and water damage from plumbing or water heaters. Personal property provides protection against the loss of your belongings in case they are stolen or damaged, inside or outside the home. Homeowner’s insurance policies also protect you in a variety of other ways. E.g. reimbursement for the cost of living if your home is too damaged to live in, as well as guest medical protection to pay for medical expenses if someone is injured in an accident on your property.

In order to insure your belongings, it is always advised to take a round and make a note of all your belongings from room to room, including the garage and shed. Calculate how much it would cost to replace everything you own in case if its destroyed. Make sure to include everything in your list- including furniture, ornaments, carpets, kitchen equipment, clothes, light fittings, home electronics. Outside home contents like patio sets, garden equipment and tools. Most insurers place a limit on what the insurer will pay out for a single item unless you tell them. The best way to deal with this situation is to provide insurers with evidence of an item’s worth and ask them to list it separately on your policy. Make sure you get the expensive items valued, photograph them and keep any receipts or else you could lose out if you have to make a claim.

Personal possessions outside your home are not usually part of the standard cover provided by your home policy- but your insurer will offer this as an optional extension, if you pay an additional premium. Combining policies for building and content insurance can work out cheaper. You can also get a discount if you buy other insurance policies, e.g. motor insurance from the same insurer. Make sure you don’t over or under insure your belongings or property. Otherwise you will waste money or risk not having adequate cover if you have to claim.

Whether you need, Home Insurance in San Diego, California the insurance experts and professionals can provide you with the right coverage at a price that fits your budget.

Leave a Reply