If you are involved in some sort of real estate development, whether commercial or residential, in the UAE, then you are bound to require the services of professional Dubai contractors. Hiring a contractor involves making big payments but by taking a few important things into consideration you can maximize your benefits and minimize the risks.
10 Things to Consider
- The first thing to consider is licensing. It is imperative to ensure that the contractor you are looking to hire is licensed or bonded to operate in the cities and areas where you require the company’s services.
- Insurance is the second most important thing to consider. You need to make sure your contractor has liability insurance. You should actually have a copy of it in your hand when starting out.
- Workers comp is another important matter to ensure. Ask your contractor to show you a certificate for the workers comp he carries.
- You should also make it a point to check for complaints against the Dubai contractors with the local business bureau. Of course, you wouldn’t want to deal with any contractors that have complaints filed against them.
- It is also important to get client references from pervious customers of the company. Try and get at least 5 references making sure to call each one of them and asking the right questions. After all hiring a contractor is a big decision and is bound to have a big impact on your project.
- Along with getting client references you also need to make an effort to get some professional references. You can actually ask material suppliers and sub contractors for references for Dubai contractors. This will give you a clear idea of the reputation of the company in the market.
- You would also want to make sure you will not be getting yourself into any legal complications. This is why it is imperative to make sure that contractor you hire has the ability to take out the zoning and building permits upon requirement. This is also an excellent way to ensure that your project will be completed in accordance with the guidelines put in place by the state.
- Ideally you would want to deal with Dubai contractors that are part of some professional organizations. This will add credibility to the company and will give you a definite sense of security regarding their standards and integrity. Since it takes time and money to join such professional organizations, it gives a clear indication that the particular contractor is serious about doing business.
- Whenever you speak to a contractor ask him details about his sub contractors. Then you should check up with these sub contractors regarding the contractor’s services and reputation in the market.
10. The last and perhaps the most important thing to ensure is to get everything in writing. This point cannot be stressed enough. Although most people are aware of the importance of getting everything in writing many people fail to do so on the basis of “goodwill” and suffer dire consequences. You should be wise and get everything from the payment schedule to the down payment and expected completion time in writing from your Dubai contractors.