Burglary and Premises Liability Claims

      No Comments on Burglary and Premises Liability Claims

It is a tricky place to be in, when your house is robbed and the robber is injured during the burglary. The same laws that protect you from going into a store and falling and hurting yourself protect the burglar in your home. Premises liability describes the legal responsibility of a property owner when injuries and/or other accidents occur on their property. What Types of Claims Exist? The most common claims filed are from those who slipped and fell. If, for example, you were in a grocery store, and they had just mopped and put no sign up and you fell, you could sue the grocery store. The same goes for your home. If, for example, you were fixing your sidewalk and failed to finish that day, you leave a large hole in the ground with rocks around it; a man comes to break in, but falls in the hole and hurts his knee. If you did not put up any safety or caution tape, you, the homeowner, could be liable for the burglar’s injuries. How Can the Homeowner be at Fault? The same laws that protect you in stores protect others at your home. As a homeowner, you are responsible to maintain safe conditions around your premises. You could be liable if: • Something on your property was unsafe; like missing stones or planks from a deck • The home-owner or whoever was responsible knew about the issue and did not work anyone and leave warning marks around the area. • The person responsible could have fixed the problem, but chose not to and left it. These liability claims cover pools, trips, animal attacks, falls, fires and explosions. Homeowners’ Insurance So, what can protect you from being sued in your own home? Homeowners insurance can. It protects your when your property is damaged and covers you for liability at your house. So, if someone breaks in, hurts themselves and wants to sue, and you have homeowners’ insurance, you are covered. And, if you don’t own a home, you can get renters’ insurance. These policies protect you from burglary, theft, fire and, of course, liability. If you don’t have insurance and want to file a premises claim, or are fighting one, there are law offices across the country that specialize in those aspects of the law and can help you. Please visit the website of Atlanta, Georgia personal injury attorneys Robbins & Associates, P.C. They have lawyers with over 30 years of case experience who can help you.

Leave a Reply