He added that several issues still need to be discussed, including the acquisition of a permit.
"We are currently integrating commercial operations, and we are developing the IT system. [for the service], "Handayani said, adding that the payment service would be launched in tourist areas, such as Bali, first.
About 2 million Chinese tourists visited Indonesia between January and November last year, which represents an increase of 14% over the corresponding period in 2017.
In addition to the partnership with Alipay, the lender also set aside 1.5 trillion rupees ($ 105 million) this year to acquire an insurance company focused on covering property damage. BIS currently only has one life insurer, BRI Life.
"This year we want to have an insurance company, we are going to have a full service in the financial sector," said Suprajarto, chairman of BRI's board of directors.
He added that BRI was still watching the market and was exploring several candidates before making a choice. The acquisition is expected to be finalized in the first half of this year, he added.
Suprajarto said that the acquisition of a general insurer would take precedence over the project of acquisition of a small lender.
In fact, the Financial Services Authority (OJK) has asked the BIS to acquire a lender in the BUKU I (banks whose main capital is less than Rs 1,000 trillion) or BUKU II (banks whose principal capital is between Rs. 1,000 and 5,000 billion).
"This requires significant funding, we are now focusing on organic growth [instead of acquiring another lender]"Said Suprajarto.
The BIS recorded a net profit of 23,500 billion rupees in the first nine months of last year, up 15% over the same period in 2017, thanks to a 17% increase in the loan growth to Rs 809 billion between January and September.
BRI appoints an assistant president to the director
BRI also announced the appointment of Sunarso as Executive Vice President and the dismissal of Jeffry J. Wurangian as Commissioner and Kuswiyoto as Director of Business Banking.
Handayani said the changes needed to be approved by the OJK.
The new list of BIS commissioners and administrators is as follows:
- Chief Executive Officer: Suprajarto
- Deputy Director: Sunarso
- Director of Risk Management: Mohammad Irfan
- Director of Human Capital: R. Sophia Alizsa
- Chief Financial Officer: Haru Koesmahargyo
- Director of Institutional Relations: Sis Apik Wijayanto
- Retail Director: Supari
- IT and Operations Director: Indra Utoyo
- Director of Small and Medium Enterprises: Priyastomo
- Director of Network Services and Operations: Osbal Saragi R.
- Director of Compliance: Ahmad Solichin Lutfiyanto
- Consumer Bank Director: Handayani
- Commissioner Commissioner / Independent Commissioner: Andrinof A. Chaniago
- Alternate Commissioner of the President: Gatot Trihargo
- Commissioner: Hadiyanto
- Commissioner: Nicolaus Teguh Budi Harjanto
- Independent Commissioner: A. Fuad Rahmany
- Independent Commissioner: A. Sonny Keraf
- Independent Commissioner: Mahmud
- Independent Commissioner: Rofikoh Rokhim